“[…] the history of the human body is not so much the history of its representations as of its modes of construction.”
In 1980 I wrote my final thesis (Lizentiat) on the American writer H. P. Lovecraft focusing on the relationship of body and text. A major theoretical influence was Klaus Theweleit’s Deleuzian reading of male fascist body-flows in his Männerphantasien. Further investigations into the metaphoric nature of the body followed: Körpermetaphern: Zum Verhältnis von Politik und Medizin (Würzburg 2000) dedicated to the metaphor of the body politic and Politische Landschaften: Zum Verhältnis von Raum und nationaler Identität (Bielefeld 2014) dealing among other things with the theoretical link between the metaphor of the national political landscape and the conception of the body politic. Possible future projects include: In-corporation/Ex-corporation, explorations in the reciprocal relationship of body and text and Bodily parts, considerations on the metaphorical coding of single body parts and their exchangeability – the nose, the penis and the breasts, the mouth, the anus and the vulva – in literature, art and culture at large. This latter project takes up parts of my PhD thesis on Hubert Fichte and some reflections on Bachtin’s notion of the grotesque body from Körpermetaphern: Zum Verhältnis von Politik und Medizin.
Körpermetaphern. Zum Verhältnis von Politik und Medizin, Königshausen & Neumann, Würzburg 2000.
Articles and Book Chapters
4. Bedrohte Grenzen: Zur geschlechtlichen Dimension des politischen Körpers (forthcoming).
3. Devouring the Other: cannibalism, translation and the construction of cultural identity, in: Translating Selves. Experience and Identity between Languages and Literatures, ed. by P. Nikolaou and M.-V. Kyritsi, Continuum, London and New York 2008, p.109-122.
2. Devorando o Outro. Canibalismo, Tradução e a Costruçãoda Identidade Cultural, GHREBH, June 2007
1. The Dis-membered Body: Bodily Fragmentation as a Metaphor of Political Renewal, in: Physis. Revista de Saúde Coletiva, Volume 12, Numer 2, 2002, p. 221-234. www.scielo.br
3. Translating the Body Politic: On the Geopolitical Dimension of National Languages, Genealogies of Knowledge I, Translating Political and Scientific Thought across Time and Space, 7-9- December 2017, University of Manchester.
2. The Multiligual Body of Language, Corpus Historicus. The Body in/of History, Sosnowiec (Poland), June 30th- July 1st 2017 (June 30th).
1. Bedrohte Grenzen: Zur geschlechtlichen Dimension des politischen Körpers, Penetrating the Body Politic: Studies in Pre-Modern Metaphorology // Penetrationen des Politischen Körpers: Studien zu einer Metaphorologie des Politischen in der Vormoderne, Bielefeld, ZiF, 9th -11th June 2011 (10th June 2011).