Translation / Self-translation
“In the case of retranslation the original relationship of the two codes is reversed: the object-code becomes now a meta-code. In other words: after the French code has swallowed part of the […] English one, he is in turn swallowed by the English code, […] so to speak with the English in his belly.”
My interest in translation and self/translation began in connection with Vilém Flusser. It has been expanding ever since: self-translation and the constitution of sexual identity in the work of Julien Green, Louis Wolfson, Raymond Federman, Christine Brooke-Rose and Abdelkebir Khatibi; translation and self-translation in the work of Georges-Arthur Goldschmidt; self-translation and the notion of anthropophagy; the metaphor of translation within media and communication theory; the use of spatial metaphors in translation theory; geography, landscape and translation.
I am member of IATIS (International Association for Translation and Intercultural Studies): http://www.iatis.org and a foreign correspondent of Équipe Multilinguisme, Traduction, Création: http://www.item.ens.fr/index.php?id=579255
Translation as Metaphor – on the use of the metaphor of translation within cultural studies, anthropology, ethnography, post-colonial studies, media-theory, history, semiotics and medicine to be published by Routledge (Translation Theories Explored) in October 2015, http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9781138803565/
Intercultural Communication. Self-Consciousness, translation and mutual understanding (ed. together with Athanasios Moulakis), Studies in Communication Sciences, Volume 3, Number 2, Lugano 2003.
Articles and Book Chapters
16. Entry “Metaphorics”, in Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Studies (forthcoming)
15. (Re)Translating Space into Time: Temporal Metaphors in Translation Studies (forthcoming)
14. Figuren der Unübersetzbarkeit. Zur Praxis der interkulturellen Übersetzung (forthcoming 2016)
13. Between São Paulo und Stuttgart: Multilingualism, Translation and Interculturality in Haroldo de Campos’ and Vilém Flusser’s Work in: KulturConfusão – On German-Brazilian Interculturalities, ed. by A. Finger et al. (de Gruyter, 2015)
12. From Transportation to Transformation: On the Use of the Metaphor of Translation in within Media and Communication Theory, in: Global Media Journal, Vol. 5, issue 1, p. 39-52, 2012, http://www.gmj.uottawa.ca/1201/v5i1_guldin.pdf
11. Meeting in Between: On Spatial Conceptualizations within Narrative and Metaphor Theory and their Relevance for Translation Studies, Revista Passagens, v. 4, n. 2 (2013) http://www.revistapassagens.ufc.br/index.php/revista/article/view/47
10. Translating Space: On Rivers, Seas, Archipelagos and Straits in: Flusser Studies 14, November 2012 www.flusserstudies.net
9. ‘Das sonderbare Francodeutsch’. Georges-Arthur Goldschmidt: Übersetzer und Selbstübersetzer , in: Georges-Arthur Goldschmidt: 1/09 Text und Kritik, ed., by H. L. Arnold, 181, München 2009, p. 59-70.
8. Devouring the Other: cannibalism, translation and the construction of cultural identity, in: Translating Selves. Experience and Identity between Languages and Literatures, ed. by P. Nikolaou and M.-V. Kyritsi, Continuum, London and New York 2008, p.109-122.
7. I believe that my two tongues love each other cela ne m’étonnerait pas’: Self-Translation and the Construction of Sexual identity, in: TTR, Vol. XX, n° 1, 2007, p. 193-214.
6. Traducirse y retraducir-se: La práctica de la escritura de Vilém Flusser translated from the Portuguese by Andrea Soto Calderón (2006) www.flusserstudies.net
5. Devorando o Outro. Canibalismo, Tradução e a Costruçãoda Identidade Cultural, GHREBH, June 2007
4. Translation, Self-translation, Retranslation: Exploring Vilém Flusser’s Multilingual Writing-Practice, in: Das Spiel mit der Übersetzung. Figuren der Mehrsprachigkeit im Werk Vilém Flussers, ed. by R. Guldin, Francke Verlag, Tübingen and Basel 2004, p. 99-118.
3. Das Übersetzungsspiel: Zur kulturkritischen Dimension von Vilém Flussers mehrsprachigem Denkstil, Trans 15/1, August 2004 http://www.inst.at/trans/15Nr/01_5/guldin15.htm
2. The (Un)transalatability of Cultures, in: Studies in Communication Sciences, Volume 3, Number 2, Lugano 2003, p. 109-134
1. Traduzir-se e retraduzir-se: a prática da escrita de Vilém Flusser, in: As margens da tradução, ed. by G. Bernardo, Rio de Janeiro, Editora Caetés 2002, p. 18-42.
10. Translating Space into Time: On the Use of Temporal Metaphors in Translation Studies, Translation and Time: Exploring the Temporal Dimension of Cross-Cultural Transfer, Department of Translation, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 8-10 December 2016.
9. Self-Translation in Switzerland, Self-Translation: Local and Global / Autoitzulpena: Tokian Tokiko Ikuspegitik zein Mundu Mailakotik, February 26-27 2015, Faculty of Arts of the University of the Basque Country, Vitoria-Gasteiz.
8. Meeting in Between: On Spatial Conceptualizations within Narrative and Metaphor Theory and their Relevance for Translation Studies, Research Models in Translation Theory II, University of Manchester, 29th April – 2nd May 2011.
7. Translating Space: Translation and Geography within a Mediterranean Context, 3rd Conference of the International Association for Translation and Intercultural Studies, Mediation and Conflict: Translation and Culture in a Global Context, Monash University, Melbourne, 8th -10th July 2009 (10th July 2009).
6. Translating Media: On the Use of the Metaphor of Translation in within Media and Communication Theory, translation and translation – des faux amis, tracing translation(s) across disciplines, Boğaziçi University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Translation and Interpreting Studies, Istanbul, 5th -8th April 2007 (6th April 2007).
5. Self-Translation and the Construction of Sexual identity, 2nd Conference of the International Association for Translation and Intercultural Studies, Intervention in Translation, Interpreting and Intercultural Encounters, University of the Western Cape, South Africa, 12th -14th July 2006 (14th July 2006).
4. Devouring the Other: The Creation of Cultural Identity through (Self)-Translation, Self & Identity in Translation, University of East Anglia, Norwich 4th – 5th February 2006 (4th February 2006).
3. Das Übersetzungsspiel: Zur kulturkritischen Dimension von Vilém Flussers mehrsprachigem Denkstil, Das verbindende der Kulturen, 7th-9th November 2003, Vienna.
2. Translation, Self-Translation, Retranslation: exploring Vilém Flusser’s multilingual writing practice, Mehrsprachigkeit und Übersetzung – Vilém Flusser Philosoph des Vielfältigen, Plurilingualism and translation, Vilém Flusser, philosopher of multiplicity, Monte Verità, Ascona (Switzerland) 26th – 28th October 2001 (28th October 2001).
1. Vilém Flusser’s writing practice between translating and retranslating, As margens da tradução, UERJ, Rio de Janeiro 27th – 28th August 2001 (28th August 2001).